3.08.2011

47 days

Lent. I've never celebrated it before. Truth is, Baptists have never really made a big deal about it. This year I've been reaching out to Christ like never before. I want to know Him better than I do. I want to live for Him better than I have. I want people to see Christ through me. That being said, it occurred to me that all my blessings and all my strife are in the glory of God. I wouldn't be so blessed without Christ and let's face it, there is NO way I'd survive some of these struggles without Him either. Medication isn't THAT good. So, I'm participating in Lent this year. I will give something up. I will spend more time each day reading His word, praying and praising His name and I will do my best to help my neighbor.

Sacrifice #1
I don't like calling these things sacrifices because what Christ did for us was a sacrifice. What I'm doing is lame in comparison. First things first, I'm giving up diet coke for Lent. 47 days without the one thing I'm totally addicted to. No, I do not drink the caffeine diet cokes so I shouldn't go into convulsions over the lack of stimulus. The addiction is mental. It's been "my thang" for as long as I can remember and for over a month, I will look past the stock of cold, crisp diet cokes in my fridge or the fridge at home. This is big for me. Huge even. The last time I tried this, I lasted a solid 3 days. I've discovered doing things for myself doesn't work. I will do this for God. I will.

Sacrifice #2
Posting of facebook takes waaaay too much of my time. I "like" things that make me giggle, I post videos that I love to watch and I update my status almost on a daily basis for no other reason that to feel connected to the outside world. For 47 days, I'm saying goodbye to writing on facebook and spending more time with my family and Christ. Technology is a distraction from living. It can be evil and I don't like the fact that Ella knows the word "email" so I bid it adieu.

May we all reflect on this time to think about what Jesus did for us. What He's doing for us and what we need to do THROUGH Him. I do have to say, I look forward to that cold, crisp diet coke after Easter.

No comments: